Saturday, March 01, 2008

Forest Gump...

The other day I was watching the movie “Forest Gump”. And I was thinking what this movie is about? Is it about an individual with low IQ and how he faces his life? Is it about his journey to marry the girl he loved all life long and ultimately become a responsible father? I believe there are many schools of thought in it. I have not read its reviews so I cannot tell, what the experts thing was the purpose of the movie. Just that it touched my heart and it does touch many people’s heart. I first came to know about it through a very close school friend of mine, Vijay. I remember we were in Mussouri (A group of school going boys, hanging out for a day in a distant place from home). I also remember that while walking the entire time Vijay kept talking about it to me and I was just registering the facts of the movie (not reflecting on the incidents he told me). He is a fan of Tom Hanks. He told me about the movie in such minute details, I felt like I have seen the movie. I never saw the movie on television or computer or anyone’s room just because of that feeling until now. I do not really appreciate a lot of things is quite reflective of this. There was lingering feeling or assumption in my mind that the movie is made to show the struggles of a person. I saw the movie and I said to myself they are not showing that. They are not interested in empathizing how this person who is not very smart leads his life. And what did I infer? From the movie the hero does what he wants to and everything with sincerity and hard work. He believes in something and follows it blindly putting everything to it. And the onlookers are puzzled. He runs because he wants to. He knows what is right and wrong to him and has no doubt about it. So what is the movie about? Well to me it is about knowing what you want to do, believing in it and knowing why you are doing it. That is the objective of one’s life. You may not materially gain from it but you will have the satisfaction that you did it. Everything else will follow. I would conclude that the movie was not about a successful person rather it was about a successful life.


No comments: