Wednesday, February 27, 2008

IIM I Interview Form

Interview Form
for
Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP)
(2008-10 Batch)
Commencing July 2008

IIM INDORE


Ø Scholastic Achievements
i. Attained All India Rank of 1388 at IIT-JEE in 2002
ii. School Topper in Mathematics in Class 10th ICSE Board Exams
iii. School Topper in Mathematics in Class 12th ISC Board Exams
iv. Attained 2nd Position in Intra School Level and Participant at the District Level in National Geo Map Quiz in 1998


Ø Please describe your strengths and weaknesses that you have identified in yourself as a student.

Strengths
i. Good at defining and achieving goals that I set
ii. Excel in areas of Interest
iii. Feel easy to work in a group/team
Weaknesses
i. Getting upset when my role in some organisation/event is not up to my expectations
ii. Tendency to do work at last moment


Ø In your present/ last job, briefly describe your job profile responsibilities, achievements and failures.
i. Presently doing a study on “Privatisation of container rails in India” as a member of Strategy department
ii. Taken initiative to revamp the company’s website and upgrade the email services
iii. As a member of break bulk chartering team of TMILL, I managed the operations of a vessel’s voyage. This included voyage analysis, bunker planning, maintaining cash flow and SOA and coordinating with various agents to ensure that the vessel’s voyage make profit.
My achievements
i. Got promoted from a management trainee to Assistant Manager within 6 months of joining.
ii. Played key role in supporting the senior managers, colleagues and juniors to get more out of the present software applications used in the company
Failures
i. Did not attend TBEM classes and 7 habits programme organised by the company


Ø If the work experience and academic/ professional qualification do not account for the entire period from the time you completed the 10th standard till date, please specify the time gaps, with full explanation.
June 2001- June 2002: I had just completed my schooling and wanted to give more time to learn the subjects required to qualify in the best engineering colleges of the country

Ø Why do you wish to go in for a management career?As a student during my graduation, I had set my focus to go for a management career. I believe a management career will add value to me over a period of time and will also give me exposure to the business management at a substantial level. A management career will broaden my perspective and hone my skills to become a business leader in the future.

Ø Besides management education, which area/field would interest you most for a career and/or for further education?
I would like to continue in my current job at TMILL, as it gives me wide exposure to various types of work in the business. My learning in the company is giving me more opportunity to grow within the company as well as an individual. Though later on in my life I would like to become a team leader and undertake a prospective project.

Ø Indicate your extracurricular interests
I. I enjoy playing hockey and football
II. I like to play strategy games like Age of Empires, Capitalism plus and Railroad Tycoon
III. I also like to sketch

Ø Please give details about your accomplishments, awards received and position held (a) in sports, games, and hobbies, (b) in associations and voluntary organisations (please show original certificates to the interview panel members.)
I. Captain of Nehru Hall Hockey team in 2005-06
II. Secretary, Cricket and Badminton, Nehru Hall, 2003-04
III. Awarded Honourable mention for outstanding performance in the game of Hockey by IIT Kharagpur
IV. Awarded Hall blue in Football and Hockey for outstanding contribution by Nehru hall\
V. Won gold and bronze in Hockey at Inter IIT level
VI. Won Silver and Bronze in Football at Inter hall level


Ø Identify a significant incident or situation from your own life. Briefly explain its nature, its importance to you and the manner you handled it.
I was the captain of Nehru Hall of residence Hockey team in IIT Kharagpur for the session 2005-06. I had two major challenges. Firstly from the previous year team 6 senior players of the starting line up had graduated. None of the new players in the team had played hockey before. Secondly 5 of the present team players were of my batch. As they were equal to me in seniority it usually made it difficult to bring them to practice. They also had academic/ placement related priorities being in fourth/final year.
To improve the standard of my team and make it competitive, I brought innovation in practices. I started position specific practice sessions for the players after identifying players for various position through their physical strength, weaknesses and skill as well as aptitude in the game. I did rolling substitution of all the prospective 10 players during the open IIT six a side tournament to give exposure to all the players. Using my contacts I also fixed regular practice matches with various hall teams. I also took all junior players to Inter IIT team selection practice to let them understand the game better. The team performed and and made it to the last four.
This situation was important to me as I wanted to ensure that I had put in the best effort to try and win. It was important to me as a captain, as a player and as a person. From this I learnt that hard work, positive outlook and faith in oneself and one’s team with strong bonding in players are essential for a team’s success.

No comments: